Set on 1.7 acres on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea, the estate features stunning tropical foliage, vibrant flora and mature trees. A natural gully runs through the property, and a secluded white sandy cove sits just below the main house, lapped by calm azure waters. The 12,000ft² residence comprises six exquisite buildings connected by coral stone terraces and pathways; each offers delightful space for relaxing and entertaining. With 10 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, Crystal Springs is the ideal villa for large groups, families and corporate gatherings.
Built in the 1940's, Crystal Springs was meticulously redesigned in the 1960's by famed Oliver Messel, who after establishing a successful career in stage and film design, turned his hand to architecture with considerable renown both in Barbados and the nearby island of Mustique. His theatrical style, characterized by grand archways, pillars and elegant finishes, emphasized outdoor living space, taking full advantage of the beautiful tropical settings that surrounded the homes. Crystal Springs is no exception; a true Messel masterpiece, it has an indelible spirit and charm that sets it apart as one of the most captivating residences on the island.
After purchasing the home in 2013, the present owners have lovingly restored Crystal Springs to her original splendour, revitalizing her spirit as Messel first envisioned it, and paying homage to the villa's architectural significance as one of his most stunning creations. The team involved in the restoration was primarily Barbadian; local experts, artisans and craftsmen ensured the home's historic integrity was maintained, and the few new additions blend effortlessly with the original structures. Most of the original furnishings have been refurbished, now artfully combined with specially commissioned local artwork to create a sophisticated take on Caribbean style.
The Annex, located adjacent to the main house, suspends over the secluded white sandy cove and gully. Its oceanfront terrace features an intimate bar area. A private stairway leads down to the beach, and at high tide, the water laps the bottom steps, allowing you to literally step right into the Caribbean Sea. The cove is a delightful spot to sunbathe and enjoy water sports, including stand-up paddle boarding, Sunfish sailing and snorkeling.
Crystal Springs is one of the few private homes with a cordoned-off swimming area, making it safe to enjoy the beautiful waters. The home also has an 18' speedboat equipped for waterskiing and other aquatic excursions; the boat master can also arrange diving lessons and equipment rentals. Should you desire a good stretch or deep meditation, just below the Annex is an ideal terrace for yoga, looking out to sea with the verdant gully as the backdrop.
The heated infinity swimming pool, finished in a stunning blue Bisazza mosaic tile imported from Italy, is lined with inviting chaise loungers. The mosaic tiles reflect the sparkling sunlight, and the infinity edge offers a window to the sea, where catamarans gracefully sail by. Relax in the shade with a favourite cocktail in hand, or accept the water's invitation to take a dip beneath the midday sun.
On the rare rainy afternoon or chosen evening in, enjoy films on the big screen in the newly furbished state of the art home theatre. Decorated with an array of memorable film posters, it provides the ideal setting for watching both new and old classics, complete with state of the art surround sound and leather reclining chairs. The property also has an ultramodern fitness centre outfitted with Technogym equipment, for those who wish to keep up their workout routines.
The staff at Crystal Springs has been with the estate for years; the butlers, cook (with assistant), boatmaster, housekeepers and laundresses will ensure your stay surpasses every expectation, providing attentive, yet unobtrusive service. Guests can also visit the butler's pantry, offering easy access to that essential morning cup of coffee, snacks and other necessities. There are also guards on hand to ensure security from dusk to dawn. The property manager is on call to address any questions, concerns or needs.
Crystal Springs sits comfortably within the heart of the island's prestigious west coast, within easy reach of Speightstown, an historic town to the north filled with cafes, shops and restaurants, and Holetown, the island's epicenter for world-class shopping, dining and nightlife. World-renowned golf, polo and marina facilities are also nearby, satisfying sportier travelers. Crystal Springs' property manager can assist with concierge services inclusive of reservations, planning excursions and any other arrangements necessary, ensuring your stay is an unforgettable experience from start to finish.
- 1.7 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens overlooking the Caribbean Sea
- Six buildings located throughout the property, including the Main House, Annex, Pool Cottage, Tea House, Pavilion and Home Theatre
- Three al fresco dining areas, including a cliff-top gazebo and oceanfront terrace
- Private beach access to secluded swimming cove with cordoned-off swimming area
- Natural gully opens on to an oceanfront terrace perfect for meditation and yoga
- State of the art home theatre with leather reclined seating for 12 and 150+ film library and AppleTV to stream on the big screen
- Private fitness centre features ultramodern equipment by Technogym
- Ideally located on the west coast, equidistant to Holetown and Speightstown
- Air-conditioning in all bedrooms, home theatre and fitness centre
- Wifi throughout
- Sonos speakers in all public living areas
- Ceiling fans throughout
- Flat screen televisions with cable & AppleTV
- Wine cooler in kitchen and bar area
- An on-site generator can power the entire property in the event of power loss
- Beach shower
- No Smoking within the buildings
- Air-conditioning and ceiling fans
- High end 100% white cotton linens including seersucker bathrobes and slippers
- Jambox by Jawbone Bluetooth speakers
- Flat screen televisions with cable & Apple TV in most bedrooms
- Mini bar and electric kettle
- Security Safe
- Wake-up calls and turn-down service provided
- Italian marble finishes
- Acqua Di Parma spa size shampoo, conditioner, shower gel & body lotion
- Kit of personal amenities such as cotton balls, Qtips and shower cap provided
- Eco-friendly option to reuse towels and linens or have scheduled change service (option to have towels changed daily)
- Electronic gated entrance with intercom
- Security guard(s) on duty from 6pm to 7am
- 18ft speedboat equipped for waterskiing, wakeboarding, tubing and snorkeling
- Two stand-up paddleboards and Sunfish sailboat available
- Royal Westmoreland, Apes Hill Club and Sandy Lane Golf Courses nearby
- Tennis Courts nearby
- Polo Fields nearby
- Property Manager Manages all details of the villa, inclusive of full concierge services
- 2 Butlers Attentive yet unobtrusive service to maintain a relaxed atmosphere
- Chef Delightful local and international dishes made according to your preferences
- Cook Delightful local and international dishes made according to your preferences
- Assistant Cook Delightful local and international dishes made according to your preferences
- 4 Housekeepers Attentive yet unobtrusive service to maintain a relaxed atmosphere
- 2 Laundresses Industrial laundry facilities on site; dry cleaning by special request
- Boatman Private excursions on 18ft. speed boat (petrol at additional fee)
- 2 Security Guards Security guards present from 6pm - 7am